Description du poste:
This post is located in the Radio and Television Section of the UN Information Service in Geneva.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of the Radio and Television Section, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Initiates news coverage and features programme ideas on UN priority activities in Geneva (and in similar time zones in the field to take advantage of Geneva's position in the 24-hour news cycle);
- Covers meetings, press conferences and other newsworthy events;
-Researches, writes, produces and broadcasts radio, television and multimedia news, on the global activities of the (COMPANY NAME);
- Writes and/or produces multimedia news coverage in support of UNTV/Unifeed, UN News Centre and UN Geneva social media platforms;
- Monitors, on a daily basis, the activities of organizations, funds and programmes within the UN system;
- Initiates contact and liaises with substantive departments of the (COMPANY NAME) system and other relevant sources on topical issues for programming;
- Conducts interviews, gathers audio and other multimedia material, performs audio and video editing and management of sound files;
- Undertakes digital editing and recording;
- Contributes to updating relevant UN news webpages on the UN global and UN Geneva websites, as appropriate;
- Performs other related duties, as assigned.
PROFESSIONALISM: Possesses excellent knowledge of the work of the UN and its specialized agencies and international issues, journalistic skills, ability to write and produce creative radio material, communication skills (spoken, written and presentational), ability to work effectively under pressure and on deadline. Ability to rapidly analyze and integrate diverse information from varied sources. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
PLANNING& ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent degree) in journalism, international relations, communications, political affairs or related field is required. A first-level university degree in any of these fields, in combination with two additional years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
At least five (5) years experience in radio and/or television news production, or related field is required.
Experience in the use of audio production software is required.
Experience within the (COMPANY NAME) Common system is desirable.
Experience in producing media content according to the principles of "constructive journalism" is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of French is required.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.
* This position is temporarily available for an initial period of five (5) months with an estimated starting date of 03/02/2020. If the selected candidate is a staff member from the (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat, the selection will be administered as a temporary assignment.
* While this temporary assignment may provide the successful applicant with an opportunity to gain new work experience, the selection for this position is for a limited period and has no bearing on the future incumbency of the post.
* Subject to the funding source of the position, the eligibility for this temporary job opening may be limited to candidates based at the duty station.
* This temporary job opening may be limited to "internal candidates," who have been recruited through a competitive examination administered according to staff rule 4.16 or staff selection process including the review of a central review body established according to staff rule 4.15.
* Staff members of the (COMPANY NAME) common system organizations who will reach the mandatory age of separation or retirement within the duration of the current temporary need period are not eligible to apply.Submitting an application or selection for the current temporary job opening does not delay or increase the mandatory age of separation.
* Retirees above the mandatory age of separation who wish to be considered for the current temporary job opening must indicate the reason for their last separation as "retirement." Such retirees shall not be employed by the Organization, unless (a) the operational requirements of the Organization cannot be met by staff members who are qualified and available to perform the required functions; and (b) the proposed employment would not adversely affect the career development or redeployment opportunities of other staff members and represents both a cost-effective and operationally sound solution to meet the needs of the service.
* Pursuant to section 7.11 of ST/AI/2012/2/Rev.1, candidates recruited through the young professionals programme who have not served for a minimum of two years in the position of their initial assignment are not eligible to apply to this position.
(COMPANY NAME) Considerations
According to article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. Candidates will not be considered for employment with the (COMPANY NAME) if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, or sexual harassment, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts. The term "sexual exploitation" means any actual or attempted abuse of a position of vulnerability, differential power, or trust, for sexual purposes, including, but not limited to, profiting monetarily, socially or politically from the sexual exploitation of another. The term "sexual abuse" means the actual or threatened physical intrusion of a sexual nature, whether by force or under unequal or coercive conditions. The term "sexual harassment" means any unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature that might reasonably be expected or be perceived to cause offence or humiliation, when such conduct interferes with work, is made a condition of employment or creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive work environment, and when the gravity of the conduct warrants the termination of the perpetrator's working relationship. Candidates who have committed crimes other than minor traffic offences may not be considered for employment.
Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting the staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible. The (COMPANY NAME) places no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. The (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on "Manuals" hyper-link on the upper right side of the inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the (COMPANY NAME) including the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), resolutions of the General Assembly, the Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised on the Careers Portal will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.
THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS' BANK ACCOUNTS