Description du poste:
This position is located in the Chinese Desktop Publishing Unit, Multilingual Technology Section, Languages Service, Division of Conference Management, (COMPANY NAME) Office at Geneva. The incumbent reports to the Head of unit.
Under the responsibility of the Head of unit, the Editorial and Desktop Publishing Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
- Produces camera-ready documents for reproduction by typing, transcribing, incorporating corrections and formatting documents in desktop publishing layout as well as creating tables, graphics and organizational charts, in addition to preparing publication in relevant software as needed for reproduction in hard copy and electronic dissemination, in accordance with existing editorial guidelines.
- Performs proof-reading functions ensuring that changes have been accurately incorporated, in consultation with the responsible person, as necessary, by checking successive versions of edited and translated documents against previous versions, as appropriate, including checking the final version against the submitted original manuscript, in accordance with existing guidelines.
- Ensures, in accordance with existing guidelines, that:
- All manuscript elements, including text, headings, items in lists, tabular and graphical elements, footnotes, attachments, front and back matter and spine, and page numbers, have been properly included and cross-linked, as appropriate;
- Numerical data have been correctly transcribed;
- Obvious errors, discrepancies or incongruities as to content, format and typography have been corrected. Aligns bi-texts in order to support the production of high-quality translation memories for computer-assisted translation (CAT), machine translation (MT) and related workflow improvements.
- Compiles and scopes final documents against the submitted document.
- Performs other modified text-processing functions developed under new workflow reviews.
- Rotates on daytime, after hours and weekend work shifts, as needed.
- Has an appropriate technological awareness to handle his/her job.
- Stays available for overtime and on-call assignments, depending on the needs of the service.
- Performs other related work as required, including verbatim and echelon service.
Knowledge of editorial practices and desktop publishing, including typographic standards. Proficiency in the language of the unit and in (COMPANY NAME) terminology. Knowledge of (COMPANY NAME) structure and rules of procedure of various organs, including documents production system. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
High school diploma or equivalent. Must have passed the (COMPANY NAME) specialized tests, i.e. grammar, verbatim, formatting and speed typing in Chinese.
At least three (3) years of experience in desktop publishing, including draft typing, copy editing, proof-reading and typographical layout or related area is required.
English and French are the working languages of the (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in Chinese, which must be the candidate's main language is required. Knowledge of English or French is desirable.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.
* This position is temporarily available until 31 August 2020. If the selected candidate is a staff member from the (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat, the selection will be administered as a temporary assignment.
* While this temporary assignment may provide the successful applicant with an opportunity to gain new work experience, the selection for this position is for a limited period and has no bearing on the future incumbency of the post.
* Subject to the funding source of the position, the eligibility for this temporary job opening may be limited to candidates based at the duty station.
* This temporary job opening may be limited to "internal candidates," who have been recruited through a competitive examination administered according to staff rule 4.16 or staff selection process including the review of a central review body established according to staff rule 4.15.
* Staff members of the (COMPANY NAME) common system organizations who will reach the mandatory age of separation or retirement within the duration of the current temporary need period are not eligible to apply.Submitting an application or selection for the current temporary job opening does not delay or increase the mandatory age of separation.
* Retirees above the mandatory age of separation who wish to be considered for the current temporary job opening must indicate the reason for their last separation as "retirement." Such retirees shall not be employed by the Organization, unless (a) the operational requirements of the Organization cannot be met by staff members who are qualified and available to perform the required functions; and (b) the proposed employment would not adversely affect the career development or redeployment opportunities of other staff members and represents both a cost-effective and operationally sound solution to meet the needs of the service.
(COMPANY NAME) Considerations
According to article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. Candidates will not be considered for employment with the (COMPANY NAME) if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, or sexual harassment, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts. The term "sexual exploitation" means any actual or attempted abuse of a position of vulnerability, differential power, or trust, for sexual purposes, including, but not limited to, profiting monetarily, socially or politically from the sexual exploitation of another. The term "sexual abuse" means the actual or threatened physical intrusion of a sexual nature, whether by force or under unequal or coercive conditions. The term "sexual harassment" means any unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature that might reasonably be expected or be perceived to cause offence or humiliation, when such conduct interferes with work, is made a condition of employment or creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive work environment, and when the gravity of the conduct warrants the termination of the perpetrator's working relationship. Candidates who have committed crimes other than minor traffic offences may not be considered for employment.
Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting the staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible. The (COMPANY NAME) places no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. The (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on "Manuals" hyper-link on the upper right side of the inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the (COMPANY NAME) including the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), resolutions of the General Assembly, the Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised on the Careers Portal will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.
THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS' BANK ACCOUNTS