Descrizione del lavoro:
This position is located in the UNECE Sustainable Transport Division's Vehicle Regulations and Transport Innovations Section. The position is mainly focussed on transport economy (but also deals with transport related impact on other sectors such as public economy or environmental economy) and is related to the UNRSF Project on "Safer and Cleaner Used vehicles for Africa". The Associate Economics Affairs Officer reports to the Chief of Section.
Within delegated authority, the Associate Economic Affairs Officer will perform the following duties:
Economic and/or sector analysis:
- Collects, evaluates, interprets analyses specified statistics and qualitative socio-economic information obtained from a variety of sources and pertaining to topics relevant to vehicle regulations and transport innovations;
- Maintains databases and programmes for database management and organizes non-quantitative information;
- Prepares briefing notes, inputs to speeches and similar material on economic or sector issues in a form that is meaningful to non-specialists;
- Prepares first drafts of sector related components of analytical studies on development issues and policies;
- Assists in the organization and servicing of expert group meetings, seminars, etc on sector related issues.
- Prepares inputs for reports to intergovernmental bodies;
- Follows intergovernmental meetings and prepares summary reports and similar material;
- Prepares inputs to statements by members of the Secretariat staff to such meetings;
- Assists in the organization of panels, round tables, etc. on development issues for inter-governmental processes.
- Compiles and analyses the data and other information necessary for the preparation of technical assistance and capacity building;
- Prepares documentation for technical cooperation programmes such as capacity building activities or technical assistance.
- Performs other related duties as required, including a variety of administrative tasks necessary for the final delivery of the work unit's services;
- Undertakes on-the-job and other training activities, both internally and externally.
- Ability to identify and develop sources for data collection.
- Ability to undertake research, analyse data, make recommendations and write reports.
- Shows pride in work and in achievements.
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
- Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges;
- Remains calm in stressful situations.
- Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
- Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately.
- Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
- Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience.
- Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Planning and organizing:
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies.
- Identifies priority activities and assignments;
- Adjusts priorities as required.
- Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work.
- Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning.
- Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary.
- Uses time efficiently.
A first-level university degree in economics, engineering or related field is required.
A minimum of two years of progressively responsible experience in economic research and analysis, policy formulation, application of economic principles in development programmes, or related fields is required.
Some experience in the field of inland transport, and especially of the area of Vehicle Regulations and/or vehicle trade related to Africa, is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in either language is required; and knowledge of the other is desirable. Knowledge of another official (COMPANY NAME) language is an advantage.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.
* This position is temporarily available for 6 months part-time (50%) in the Project period that ends on 31 December 2022. If the selected candidate is a staff member from the (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat, the selection will be administered as a temporary assignment.
* While this temporary assignment may provide the successful applicant with an opportunity to gain new work experience, the selection for this position is for a limited period and has no bearing on the future incumbency of the post.
* Staff members of the (COMPANY NAME) common system organizations who will reach the mandatory age of separation or retirement within the duration of the current temporary need period are not eligible to apply.Submitting an application or selection for the current temporary job opening does not delay or increase the mandatory age of separation.
* Retirees above the mandatory age of separation who wish to be considered for the current temporary job opening must indicate the reason for their last separation as "retirement." Such retirees shall not be employed by the Organization, unless (a) the operational requirements of the Organization cannot be met by staff members who are qualified and available to perform the required functions; and (b) the proposed employment would not adversely affect the career development or redeployment opportunities of other staff members and represents both a cost-effective and operationally sound solution to meet the needs of the service.
(COMPANY NAME) Considerations
According to article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. Candidates will not be considered for employment with the (COMPANY NAME) if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, or sexual harassment, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts. The term "sexual exploitation" means any actual or attempted abuse of a position of vulnerability, differential power, or trust, for sexual purposes, including, but not limited to, profiting monetarily, socially or politically from the sexual exploitation of another. The term "sexual abuse" means the actual or threatened physical intrusion of a sexual nature, whether by force or under unequal or coercive conditions. The term "sexual harassment" means any unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature that might reasonably be expected or be perceived to cause offence or humiliation, when such conduct interferes with work, is made a condition of employment or creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive work environment, and when the gravity of the conduct warrants the termination of the perpetrator's working relationship. Candidates who have committed crimes other than minor traffic offences may not be considered for employment.
Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting the staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible. The (COMPANY NAME) places no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. The (COMPANY NAME) Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on "Manuals" hyper-link on the upper right side of the inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the (COMPANY NAME) including the Charter of the (COMPANY NAME), resolutions of the General Assembly, the Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised on the Careers Portal will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.
THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE (COMPANY NAME) DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS' BANK ACCOUNTS