BlaBlaCar is the world's largest long-distance ridesharing community. Conceived in December 2003 by Frédéric Mazzella, and founded in 2006, BlaBlaCar connects drivers and passengers willing to travel together between cities and share the cost of the journey. BlaBlaCar has more than 25 million members across 22 countries.
Members must register and create a personal online profile, which includes ratings and reviews by other members, social network verification, and rate of response. "Profiles of members show how much experience they have of the service, meaning those with more – known as "ambassadors" – attract more ride shares and, importantly, each user's profile includes a "BlaBla" measurement, which indicates how much they are willing to chat during a trip".
As of April 2015, the company had raised USD$100 million from blue-chip venture-capital firms including ISAI, Index and Accel, plus earlier rounds of €1.2 million from ISAI and €600,000 from founders, friends, and family.
On September 16 2015, BlaBlaCar announced it had raised another US $200 million "primarily from US investors" in a round that valued the company at USD$1.6 billion.
The service is accessible via the web, mobile and also via apps for iOS and Android.
Being part of the BlaBlaCar team means:
- you will have a positive social impact on the world, as we continue to make road travel smarter and more sustainable;
- you will work in a fast-paced environment with a highly agile team of dynamic, hyper-motivated and talented individuals;
- you will join a worldwide company, with a real international culture and vision, being multi-lingual and highly mobile.
Why join us?
- Challenge: the opportunity to grow within a fast-paced, progressive company.
- Pride & Fun: we live by our value “Fun & Serious”, which has contributed towards BlaBlaCar being one of the hottest startups in Europe (Wired top 100 ranking). We also received the “Fun & Performing” award from the Great Place to Work Institute.
- Learning environment: a key value is “Share more. Learn more.” We share our knowledge extensively and learn a lot from each other on a daily basis.
- Off-site adventures: in addition to regular events throughout the year, you also get to enjoy one week abroad working in another BlaBlaCar office. We also spend a weekend away together on our BlaBlaBreak, with the entire BlaBlaTeam.
- Ridesharing: all ridesharing is reimbursed following our motto: “Think it, build it, use it.
- Beginnings: a steady introduction into the company with onboarding sessions and a personal mentor.