The University of Messina have an antic cultural and educational tradition. At the end of XIII century was initiate a school of law, in the XV century a famous greek school and the local "Studiorum Universitas" was founded of the Pontefice Paolo III in November 1598. But the regular functioning of the university was palsied by the controversy in that time with the Jesuits, which wouldn't renounce of the control of the institution as well with Catania wich rivendicate her monopoly position of the stages functionated. After a very short period of existence in 1678 the university was closed again because of the revolution against the Spaniards. During these years the university, which belong very strong to the city, represented the political-cultural expression of the time. After a long period of silence, during which the studies have taken place in the "Academia Carolina", the university was refunded in 1838 from King Ferdinando II.
At 1847 at the result of the antiborbonic revolution of the city, the university was again closed and reopened after two years, with the restriction to be not aprend to calabrese students, or students from an other Sicilian region.
The earthquake in 1908 have destroyed a great part of the university also the library and the scientific equipment. But only a year later in 1909 the Faculty of Law was reopened. The Faculties of Science, Pharmacy and Medicine are opened in the years 1914/15. Today the University of Messina has eleven faculties and currently approximately 40.000 undergraduate students.
Read more >
Phone: +39 090 676 42 79 (Int'l Office)
Address: UniversitÓ degli Studi di Messina, via dei Verdi, 98100 Messina, Italy