n 1778, Louis XVI decided to create at the Hôtel des Monnaies (the Mint) "a Chair of mineralogy and metallugical docimasy, in which the professor appointed by the King will give free public lessons in this science".
By an Order in Council of 19 March 1783, the King "resolved to create a mining school, similar to that for roads and bridges which had been set up with great success during the reign of the late King" in 1747. The new "Ecole des Mines" (School of Mining).
In 1816, the Restoration of the Monarchy under the reign of louis XVIII, finally established the School in Paris at the Hôtel de Vendôme, where it has remained until
this day. However, because of the lack of space there and following the development of research laboratories, it became necessary to move some parts to Evry
(1967), Fontainebleau (1969) and Sophia Antipolis (1976).
Naturally, the skills of the School followed closely the development of the industry and the
Ecole des Mines now studies, develops and teaches a very wide range of sciences and techniques of value to engineers, including economic and social sciences.
Originally charged with the training of civil mining engineers and the Corps of Mines, since the Sixties the School has developed its post-graduate research and
teaching activities in liaison with industry and with the help of the Armines association. Students and existing managerial staff are given the chance to improve their
knowledge of a more narrowly-specialized field through one-year specialist courses as well as short, continuing education courses.
Read more >