Catholic University of Louvain
Contact: +32 10 47 25 39
Accreditations and rankings:
Université Catholique de Louvain (UCL)
UCL, Place de l'Université 1, 1348 Louvain-la-neuve, Belgium
The Université catholique de Louvain was established on December 9, 1425, by a papal bull issued by Pope Martin V. The University split along language lines as a result of political turmoil in the late 1960's. A law recognizing separate Flemish-speaking and French-speaking universities was passed in 1970. The former remained in Louvain while the latter moved to a new location on the outskirts of Ottignies. This new campus became the town of Louvain-la-Neuve.
Between 1972 and 1979, nine faculties (schools) gradually moved to Louvain-la-Neuve. The Faculty of Medicine chose to move to Brussels (Woluwe-Saint-Lambert), in an area now known as « Louvain-en-Woluwe ».
Global university agreements of Université Catholique de Louvain